Sunday, February 6, 2011

Review: The Book Of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

The Book of TomorrowThe Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I love Ms. Ahern's books and this is no exception. She has a way to lull you into a tale that is gently spun part out of the whispers of fairy tales and heart daydreams and part from her Irish heritage.

The main character is a spoiled teenager Tamara who, through tragedy, must go into the country, a groundskeeper's cottage of a burned castle. There is her mother, aunt and uncle, a Sister Ignatius all filled with amazing descriptions, characteristics that they jump off the page. A diary Tamara finds and each day it fills in with what will happen tomorrow, can she control the day and outcome - as she unravels the mystery and web that surrounds her.

I would have given this book 5 stars but this had a bit of a different tone than I was used to in Ms. Ahern's writing. It was also sold towards young adults and to be honest, I would not want my teen reading it. There was a few "harsh" scenes that were unnecessary in this book and in the understanding of Tamara's character (and those of her rich brief friends). But I do like the tale and the spirit of the book, the writing style and voice - all one of a kind. I can't wait for another one from her.



View all my reviews

0 comments: